Sunday, January 2, 2011

Drama in Real Life

I've been having trouble kick-starting my fiction writing. I just can't concentrate on it and keep getting distracted by reality.

Today I read a post on FaceBook by one of my favorite authors Laurell K. Hamilton. It read:
I sat on the couch making notes about serial killers, & wereanimals, while Jon read. Trinity, or daughter, drew. Sasquatch, our pug, snoozed. The 3 of us talked a lot, watched a little TV. It was very good. I've worked very hard that my real life is full of joy & love. I save the drama for my fiction. Outside of this small circle, sometimes the drama rises, but that's out there. I do my best to leave it out there.
Yeah, my real life has too much drama. When I sit down to write I end up writing non-fiction - either a blog entry or a magazine article - and the fiction stories just get pushed to the back. The non-fiction is too dramatic and real to let the fiction come to the front.

I haven't given up, not by a long shot. I just need to approach things differently and try to purge the drama so the fiction can come out. It's there and I know it will be wonderful. I just need to let it take the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment