Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Ex-Girlfriend's Lament


This is a new one. I started freewriting and it just came out. Apparently I'm still not over that guy ...

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.

The very sound of your voice incites loathing in my soul. Your eyes are pools of tar and your smile drips with venom.

How can we still live in this same world, breathe this same air? You are toxic, and I can see the stain of your touch everywhere I go.

That friend there: We saw a concert once with him and now he is stained before my eyes. His fond hello makes me shudder in revulsion as remembered joy turns to pain.

Lemon chicken with rice is now foul to me and shall never again cross my lips and a mocha latte sits bittersweet in my belly. How many nights did we share these victuals, theses precious nourishments that now turn to ash in my mouth?

A puppy’s cry is no longer sweet. A summer rain no longer falls gently. Give me mountains tall and deserts vast, for the ocean’s gentle breeze no longer favors me.

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways. 

But wait … just once more look upon me, my beautiful torment. Turn just once from her face and gaze once more upon mine. Just once, my love, pretend ...

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

1 comment: