Thursday, December 2, 2010

Poetry Practice

Last year I was preparing to teach a class on writing and decided to do some practice to "limber up." Poetry really is a great way to exercise your writing skills. I should really make myself write it more often.

Relativity
(Triolet)

The year is short, the day is long
And hours move in stately dance.
How does time write its shallow song?
The year is short, the day is long.
The month comes slowly then is gone
Yet weeks speed past at just a glance.
The year is short, the day is long
And hours move in stately dance.

Sunshine
(Haiku)
Little cat sleeping
White belly turned to the sun.
Is she solar powered?

Blessing
(Sonnet)
I dance upon my Mother Earth
The bare rock throbbing ‘neath my feet.
I turn my face to heaven’s hearth
And let the Sun’s light set the beat.

Slowing now, I take a seat
Beneath her tree with branches wide.
With quiet song the Moon I greet,
To gentler face I turn my eye.

I lift my arms to Mother Sky
And feel her breath upon my bones.
In sheltering arms my spirit lies;
In her embrace my soul is home.

Earth and Water, Fire and Air
Mother, bless my spirit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment